Ashwagandha is the main herb in my Adrenal Formula and is an important ingredient in three of my herbal blends. Why? One of the most important functions of Ashwagandha is that of an adaptogen. An adaptogen is a natural substance considered to help the body adapt to stress and to exert a normalizing effect upon bodily processes. In short, it brings balance to the body.
Ashwagandha has many major functions:
- It has a focusing action for the mind without stimulation.
- It brings a balancing action to the body, especially the adrenal gland.
- It strengthens the adrenal cortex.
- It has a slightly tonifying effect on the immune system.
- Because it is an adaptogen meant to bring balance, it brings energy into the body during the day and allows for better sleep at night.
- It may strengthen the kidneys.
Another very interesting aspect to herbalism and creating formulas is intention. Although specific herbs may have a well known function, it is clear from the information above that herbs can be multifaceted. For example, in the Adrenal Formula, I use Ashwagandha to strengthen the adrenal cortex and calm the body and mind. In my Balanced Brain Blend, it is the main ingredient used to calm the mind and help create a centered, focused reaction. In my Thyroid Formula, I use Ashwagandha to bring balance to and reduce stress on the Thyroid gland. These are three very different blends with the same herb being used for very different purposes, but it is still instrumental in the overall benefit of the blend.
Herbalism is easily the most interesting aspect of my business, ever. With so many possibilities, the potential for achieving wellness is endless! As always, I wish you wellness and good health.