In today’s rushed society, the typical American adult experiences absentmindedness, fatigue, anxiety and depression and even chronic pain. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease and autoimmune related diseases seem to be at pandemic levels. Could there be a connection? Quite possibly! Candidias is a full body overload of a naturally occurring fungus, Candida Albicans, which lies deep within the intestinal and genital tracts of all people, regardless of gender. Although it is naturally occurring and beneficial in smaller amounts, it is what we call an “opportunistic flora”. This means that while Candida Albicans is naturally occurring and even necessary, it will quickly overpopulate causing a whole host of symptoms that may otherwise seem unrelated. This is called Candidiasis, or sometimes Yeast Syndrome.
Each body system may present different different symptoms. Although this is not a complete list, it is fairly extensive- General: Chronic Fatigue, loss of energy, general malaise (feeling of being unwell), decreased libido; Gastrointestinal: Thrush, bloating, gas, intestinal cramping, rectal itching, altered bowel function, colitis, leaky gut syndrome ; Genitourinary system complaints: Vaginal yeast infection, frequent bladder and kidney infections; Endocrine system complaints: Menstrual complaints, blood sugar imbalances, sugar cravings; Nervous System complaints: Depression, irritability, inability to concentrate, anxiety; Immune system complaints: allergies, chemical sensitivities, low immune function, cough, congestion; Muscular: Muscle pain; arthritis; Skin: Rashes, canker sores, itching, toenail fungus.
There are multiple causes of Candidiasis which can include any combination of the following: a history of chronic antibiotic use for infections or acne, oral birth control usage, and oral steroid usage, high/chronic stress, high heavy metal levels, allergies, a high sugar diet or one using canned, boxed or out to eat foods as a mainstay, poor digestion and elimination (This could possibly be linked to poor liver function.). Although candida overgrowth varies in severity, symptoms and duration for every person, you can regain control of your gut health. The following herbal blends nourish the body deeply and provide nutrients that may not be typically available in the average diet.
- Deep Gut Cleanse– Available in tea, capsule and tincture form. Deep Gut can be used to rid the gut of some parasitic infestations, but is especially effective in fighting fungal infections. It also has immune BUILDING properties as well, and can be used as laxative-free form of constipation relief. Do not use if Pregnant. Ingredients: Cat’s Claw Bark, Lavender, Pau D’Arco, Dandelion Leaf, Cornsilk, Peppermint, Ginger, Calendula, Cloves, Caprylic Acid
- Liver Cleanse– Available in tea, capsule and tincture form. The Liver formula can be used as a “liver cleanse”, but it also has POWERFUL, SYSTEMIC antioxidant effects and herbs in the formula have been known to strengthen the liver in the process. It can have positive effects on the heart, the lymphatic system, and the blood supply as well. Do not use if pregnant. Ingredients: Rose Hips, Dandelion Root, Milk Thistle seeds, Astragalus, Ginger, Turmeric, Burdock Root, Hawthorn Berries (One positive effect may be regular bowel movements, which can help relieve extra inflammation and toxic build up in the gut.)
- Probonix Liquid Probiotic Drops- This liquid probiotic uses an exclusive formula of the 12 most effective probiotic strains. Taking Probonix is simple. Just four drops on your tongue or in your favorite unheated drink twice a day. Taking a probiotic is important in restoring proper floral balance after cleansing unhealthy flora by using Deep Gut Cleanse or Liver Cleanse. (You must email me to purchase this product as it cannot be sold on Etsy.)
Knight Holistic Anti-fungal (Diet) Protocol
All fungus feeds on sugar, so simple and even most complex carbohydrates must be eliminated in order to starve the Candida. This is likely not a way of eating that you would have chosen for yourself and is obviously not the typical American diet. We have been taught to center our diets on grains, but this is proving in study after study to be one of the least beneficial food groups in maintaining a healthy body. My approach may differ slightly than others you have researched, but I have seen clients have great success utilizing this protocol, with and without supplementation.
Anti-Fungal Dietary Protocol for First two weeks:
- Avoid all grains, sugar, sugar substitutes, vinegars, alcohol, all dairy products (except unsweetened Greek yogurt), vinegars and fermented foods of any kind*, fruit juices, fruits (except those listed below), ALL out to eat foods (basically, anything fun or easy).
What can you eat??
- Protein, unless breaded
- Vegetables, unlimited with the exception of beans, potatoes, corn, peas or winter squash
- Berries of any kind, grapefruit, green apples (max 1 medium green apple daily)
- Anything on the Alkaline foods list
- Coconut, Almond or Cashew milk
- Green Tea- This is an excellent source of detoxification and cleansing as well as refreshing; if you do not choose decaf, it’s a source of stimulation which may aid in fighting the feelings of brain fog and fatigue as well.
- Raw, Unfiltered honey (maximum of 1 teaspoon per day)
- Unsweetened Greek Yogurt
- Garlic, oregano, olive oil, coconut oil all help with killing off candida.
- Add a plant-based enzyme at meals. This will help you to efficiently and effectively break down foods, even with an injured gut. This also allows for optimal absorption.
- Grapefruit juice is an excellent choice because it is helpful in killing off candida and provides extra antioxidant protection.
- Alkaline water, available at most health food stores would be a great option.
Get creative with your food! Here are some examples:
- Try this recipe for homemade mayonnaise, which could make your life much easier (and tastier) during this period
- Tuna, Mayo, Green apple diced, Celery, Celery seed, pepper, onion—mix and wrap in large lettuce leaves for a tuna “sandwich”
- Eggs, avocado and one slice of bacon with a cup of grapefruit juice
- ½ small green apple and 1 tbs Homemade nut butter (Nuts ground in processor, no added sugar)
- Unsweetened Greek Yogurt, 1 tsp Raw Unfiltered Honey, Berries
- Large Salad with Grilled Meat
- Use Greek Yogurt and Spices (fresh or dried) to make a dressing for salads (add almond milk to thin the yogurt to a dressing consistency)
After the first two weeks**:
BENEFICIAL FOOD CHOICES:
- Slowly introduce legumes and fruits. Strictly limit intake to one option of the following daily: 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of a legume; 2 servings of a fruit; OR 2 servings of legumes.
- Very slowly integrate fermented foods and vinegars*.
A GENERAL LIST OF FOODS TO AVOID AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE:
- All processed foods, fast foods, or lower quality out to eat foods. If it comes in a box or can, it is probably not optimal for your diet. If you must choose boxed/canned foods, try to choose organic options. Many larger grocery chains are listening to the demand for Organic and NON-GMO food, and now have excellent section for options such as these.
- All sugary pre-made drinks, all sugar free substitutes as well. ALLOWED: Zevia and Bai are two my favorite low/no sugar options. My go-to organic, non-GMO “sugar free” sweetener is Erythritol (NOW brand is my choice).
- Wheat…. Even without an allergy or an intolerance, it is an inflammatory substance.
- Liquor. All kinds. Think relaxing herbal teas instead. You may have 1 glass (4-6oz) of red wine 3-5 times per week if you feel it is absolutely necessary. White wine is very high in sugar content and has less beneficial properties.
- Sugar laden desserts. Once your first two weeks of the Candida protocol has passed, try one of the many low-carb desserts on my Pinterest.
- Store bought juices. Try whole foods smoothies instead. Juices are almost pure sugar and when lacking the natural fibers found in the plant, it can feed unhealthy flora. If you must juice, juice fresh and try to incorporate alkaline choices.
- Breads. Limit or avoid them. Carbohydrates, no matter the source, turns to sugar in the body.
ALKALINE FOOD CHOICES: Try these options when available.
- Alkaline Vegetables Artichokes Asparagus (tips), Bamboo Shoots, Broccoli, Beetroots, Bell Peppers, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Carrots, Cauliflowers, Celery, Chard, Chayote, Chicory, Chives, Collard, Greens, Cucumbers, Dandelions, Dills, Dulce, Eggplant, Endives, Garlic, Green Beans, Green Olives, Green Peas, Greens (leafy), Horse radishes, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Kelp, Leeks, Lettuces, Mustard Greens, Okra, Onions, Oyster plants, Parsley, Parsnips, Peas (fresh), Peppers, Radishes, Rutabagas, Sea Veggies, Spinach, Sprouts (all), Summer squash, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss chard, Tomatoes, Turnips, Watercress, Wheat grass, Wild Greens, Dandelion Root, Zucchini
- Alkaline Fruits- Avocados, Grapefruits, Lemons, Limes, Tomatoes (Moderately alkaline/less acidic are apples and berries. Berries are especially beneficial, so in my opinion, worth the mildly acidic nature.)
- Alkaline Oils & Fats Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Flax Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Olive Oil, Sesame Oil
- Alkaline Grasses & Sprouts Alfalfa, Alfalfa Sprouts, Amaranth Sprouts, Barley Grass, Broccoli Sprouts, Dog Grass, Fenugreek Sprouts, Kamut Grass, Kamut Sprouts, Lemon Grass, Millet Sprouts, Mung Bean Sprouts, Oat Grass, Quinoa Sprouts, Shave Grass, Spelt Sprouts, Wheat Grass
You may try juicing a combination of these alkaline fruits, veggies, grasses and fats!
Clean Snacking Ideas for Weeks 2 and Beyond:
- Veggies w/ Hummus
- Apple and Peanut Butter
- Almonds and an Apple or Berries
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Celery w/ Nut Butter
- Greek Yogurt w/ Berries
- Clean Trail Mix (nuts and home-dried blueberries)
- 1/4c Clean Granola with almond or coconut milk
- 1/2c Banana and Nut Butter
- Avocado with sliced tomato
- Nuts (best if they are raw)
- Hummus and 1 Low Carb Tortilla
- Roasted Seeds with Fruit
- Carrot sticks or celery sticks and Guacamole
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Veggies and Clean Ranch Dressing
- Nitrate/ite free lunch meat with sliced avocado wrapped in a lettuce leaf
*When the body has an overgrowth of fungus (Candida, particularly), vinegars and fermented foods may cause an intense reaction with the fungus available. For imagery sake, imagine what happens when vinegar is added to sugar-fed yeast when baking bread. Fermented foods and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar “with the mother” are helpful in establishing a healthy floral content to the gut AFTER the infection/overgrowth of bad and/or opportunistic flora is eliminated. I always tell clients that less is more until they no longer feel the symptoms of Candida overgrowth.
**Weeks four and beyond, I suggest a modified low-carb approach for your lifestyle.